Education Platform 2022
The CDP Black Caucus Calls for Changes To the CDP Platform
The core values of the Democratic Party are a commitment to equality, opportunity, justice, and inclusivity for all. In order to live up to those values, we must amend the CDP platform to ensure it prioritizes Black student achievement and recognizes the unique and important needs of Black students.
K-12 Platform Plank
The current education platform:
- Excludes Black students in sections calling for a focus on improving educational outcomes for historically underserved groups. Currently, 80,000 Black students do not qualify for supplemental school funding because they’re not... “Low Income, English Learners, or Foster Youth.” This translates to a $560-million-dollar funding gap.
- Is outdated and ignores the importance of education programs that Black students rely on. Black students are being left behind. 67% (112,000) don’t read or write at grade level and 79% (131,000) are not at grade level in math. We must call for more targeted support and culturally specific services to help Black students get ahead.
The CDP Black Caucus Supports The Following Platform Changes
- Strive for full proficiency in English language arts and mathematics especially for historically low performing demographic subgroups such as socioeconomically disadvantaged students, students with disabilities, foster youth, English language learners, Black students and other historically underserved groups.
- Work to close our opportunity and achievement gaps by leveraging the flexibility of Local Control Funding Formula, engage parents and communities to develop accountability plans benefiting all students, particularly low income, English learners, Black students, foster children and students with disabilities;
- Support public charter schools that are authorized by public and elected boards, not-for-profit, and transparent in governance; have equitable admissions; adopt fair labor practices and respect labor neutrality; and, supplement public education programs, particularly for students in historically low performing subgroups such as low income, English learners, Black students, foster children and students with disabilities.
- Provide Black youth with the targeted support and culturally specific services they need to succeed in school and prepare for college and career
- Support all public school options that provide parents and guardians of Black children access to high quality educational alternatives for their children.
Read the current education platform here https://cadem.org/issues/education/
Proposed Changes To the Children, Young Adults, and Their Families Plank
The platform calls for investment in the well-being of children in order to help them thrive and focuses on the needs of vulnerable and underserved children. Across the nation, the infant mortality rate has declined for years. However, here in California, Black infant mortality remains alarmingly high - almost double the rate among Latinx and and whites.
In order to truly invest in the well-being of all children and young people, we must focus on changing this unacceptable reality.
The CDP Black Caucus calls for the additional of new language in the platform to address Black infant mortality:
- Work to increase the percentage of Black mothers who receive prenatal care and to decrease Black infant and maternal mortality rates.
Read the current platform language here https://cadem.org/issues/children-young-adults-and-their-families/